Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Finding the Good

Deployments are terrible. As much as I wish they could just disappear and everyone could have their loved ones home all the time, I know that will never be possible. So in this bad situation, looking for the good, no matter how small it may be, can be the only thing that helps maintain sanity.

Having said this, I believe that I have found the good that has come from husband's deployment:

My husband is one of those men that likes to think he's 100% badass and 0% sensitive. He's always talking about "manly" things and one of his favorite things to say to me is, "Because, Babe, I'm a grown ass man!" Needless to say, this delusion has caused him to be slightly less than romantic in every day situations. Well, when he's aware of it at least. His subconscious is another story. For example, he likes to pretend that he doesn't like to snuggle, so we go to sleep on our own sides of the bed. On multiple occasions however, I've woken up in the middle of the night to him snuggling me so tightly I can barely breathe. So I've always known there was a sensitive side somewhere behind that "manly" front.

Much to my surprise, this deployment has severely toned down the manly-ness. I would've thought that being with only men all day long, for months on end would have worsened his condition. [Thankfully, I was wrong.] His behavior during this deployment has made me feel more appreciated than ever before, as he constantly thanks me for the packages and love I send his way. Along with all of that appreciation, he's also constantly telling me how much he loves me and how excited he is to start our lives together in what I like to call his "lovey voice". Before this deployment, it had never really existed. Now, I hear it at least once in every conversation.


[On R&R, when he "fell even more in love with me."]

I am loving the change that this deployment has brought out in my husband. I think that it has strengthened our marriage and helped us to communicate all of our feelings better. It just confirms for me that he is the one that I want forever.

What good has come out of your family's deployments? 

3 comments:

  1. I notice that, indeed, distance makes the heart grow fonder. The more B is away from me, the more loving he is when he's home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The early deployments usually came right about the time we were getting tired of each other (headstrong, independent newlyweds...). By the time he came home, we were missing each other like mad! It gave us time to grow up & into our marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In is amazing how distance really does make the heart grow fonder. My hubby is much more lovey in his communication since he's gone.

    The quote we use is...distance is to love what wind is to flame...it makes the strong grow stronger and it diminishes the weak.

    ReplyDelete