Thursday, March 3, 2011

Welcome to the 21st Century

When it comes to technology, I have the skills of an 80 year old woman. I am, without a doubt, technologically challenged. I've had my Nook for about 3 weeks and I'm just barely learning how to use it. I take all of my pictures with my cell phone camera because I can't figure out how to get the other one to charge and checking my Facebook is pretty much the extent of my social networking skills because Twitter is absolutely impossible. [How the heck do you work all of those # and @ signs, anyway?!]

So, with my skills completely lacking, there was no way that I would be able to work a smartphone. Until my old, easy to work phone broke. Three times in the last week and a half. In my last trip into the Verizon store, the salesman lured me in with a promise of a better camera and talk of SkypeMobile. [Husband is deployed after all.]

So as of today, I am the proud owner of this beauty:

[picture from Verizon.com]

It sure is pretty, but I have absolutely no idea how to even make a phone call, much less Skype.
I need a technology tutor.

Am I the only one with this problem?

6 comments:

  1. Totally. lol.

    When I first got a "smart" phone, I asked the guy (well he was cute too) how to use it right. LOL! He gladly showed me!

    You can ALWAYS ask for help. I am sure there is a YouTube video on how to use it or something. There are so many things that you can learn online.

    The # sign in twitter is used as #(insert topic) for instance "Today I #blogged." and the @ sign in twitter is @(insert someone else's username) example: "Oh hey! @1AdrienneRose you're awesome!"

    That's my twitter username by the way! Hahha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah, i feel your pain! that's the only way people like us advance in technology: the old stuff breaks. luckily, i'm married to a big geek and we always buy the same phone, so i just get him to show me how to work it. hope you're able to get skype working - good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So after nosily browsing your posts, I saw the Arizona post! Where abouts in AZ are you? I just moved from there to California. But I've lived all over. That's where practically all my family lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it just takes time, seriously!! i get really intimidated as well, but after a week or so you'll be texting, chatting, skyping all kinds of stuff, you just have to play with it and figure stuff out as you go a long!

    hillary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same phone, is it the Droid 2? It took me weeks to figure out how to use it... what's worse is that I'm GREAT with technology and all about it! I have iPods, Twitters, Facebooks, websites, you name it... but this phone is tricky!

    Go online and read the user manual... that's how I navigated it. Mine didn't come with one in the box (I guess they don't do that anymore?) but searching online definitely helped me learn it! You can always email me too, since it looks like we have the same one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh at this. You will get used to it REALLY quick and then you'll never know how you lived without a smart phone. They are black and soul sucking like that. :)

    ReplyDelete